Sustainability is an inherently interdisciplinary subject, which is reflected in the many academic departments and degree programs which offer sustainability-related courses. GW offers a number of sustainability-related degrees which prepare students to become leaders in their field. On this page you’ll find just a few of the many sustainability-related degree programs offered at GW.
At the undergraduate level GW offers a Major in Environmental Studies which serves as preparation for analyzing broad-based environmental and development policy, both domestically and internationally. The Major in Geography also includes many courses related to sustainability such as Urban Sustainability and Resources and the Environment.
Students interested in Engineering will find sustainability content in Civil & Environmental Engineering which has a learning objective of improving the environment. In the Civil Engineering program students can choose from an array of sustainability-related courses such as Sustainability in Engineering Materials and Sustainable Urban Planning Dynamics.
The Elliott School’s BA in International Affairs program offers a concentration in International Environmental Studies and many classes dedicated to environmental topics and development like Post Disaster Development in Haiti or Global Energy Security.
Students in any school can choose to Minor in Sustainability, an interdisciplinary course of study.
GW offers a number of programs related to sustainability at the graduate level. The MA in Environmental Resource Policy, through the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences, offers a multidisciplinary approach to environmental and sustainability studies. The program prepares students to enter environmental policy careers in government, non-profit organizations, the private sector and environmental advocacy groups.
Also offered through the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences is the MS in Environmental and Green Chemistry which trains the next generation of experts with an interdisciplinary curriculum that fosters proficiency in evaluating the state of the environment and designing greener technologies.
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences offers an MS in Engineering Management with a focus in Environmental and Energy Management. This degree includes core courses such as Environmental Management and Greenhouse Gas Measurement and Reporting.
The Milken Institute School of Public Health also offers a number of sustainability-related degrees at the graduate level, including Masters in Global Environmental Health and in Public Health Nutrition.
The College of Professional Studies offers a Master’s of Professional Studies in Sustainable Urban Planning. Students learn how to evaluate, plan, and implement sustainable policies, resulting in vibrant and environmentally viable communities. This program has been accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB).
Many sustainability-related graduate certificates are offered across the university.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Health, Milken Institute School of Public Health
- Certificate in Sustainable Urban Planning, College of Professional Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Innovation, Creativity & Entrepreneurship, School of Business
- Graduate Certificate in Walkable Urban Real Estate Development, School of Business
- Professional Certificate in Sustainable Tourism Destination Management, School of Business
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Resource Policy, Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Geographical Information Systems, Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Energy Engineering and Management, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Emergency Management and Public Health, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental and Energy Systems Management, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Geoenvironmental Management, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Greenhouse Gas Management, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences